By popular demand, Marco y Mary will offer two new musicality series:
(1) Tango Beat Basics, 1pm to 2:00 pm (perfect for beginners, but valuable to experienced dancers)
(2) Introductory Tango Movement and Music, 2:00pm to 3:30pm (mixed levels)
*We guarantee that your ability to hear, understand, and express the rhythms, phrases, and structure of tango music will dramatically improve by taking these classes. Offered back to back, the two courses will complement each other. No partner needed. (Detailed class descriptions at the bottom).
Mixed level. No partner necessary. We will listen AND dance.
Sundays, March 2, 9, 16, 23
Location: Dance Union, 16 Bow St., Union Square, Somerville
Discounted Pre-Registration prices available:
(1) Tango Beat Basics, $60 (four 1-hour classes); drop in $20/$18 students
(2) Introductory Music and Movement, $65 (four 1.5 hour classes); drop-in $23/$20 students
To register with paypal: email@example.com
Free parking at Citizen’s bank lot, across the street
More information: contact Mary Oleskiewicz on FB, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
(1) “Tango Beat Basics”: If you have trouble finding and following the beat or would like to understand rhythm, beat, and syncopation, this class is for YOU. If you would like to be more sensitive and subtle in how to express beats and tango rhythms in your movement, this class is also for YOU. If you want to maximize your experience in the Music and Movement Series, this class is for YOU. No new figures will be introduced.
N.B. Each Tango Beat Basics class serves both to transition new and returning students smoothly into that day’s “Tango Music and Movement” class, as well as reinforce concepts that you may have already encountered. If you have not taken musicality with M&M Tango previously, you should sign up for this course before taking a class in the Music and Movement series. You may take the Tango Beat Basics class prior to any single class in the series, or you may take it as a separate series.
(2) “Introductory Tango Music and Movement” (continuation series). These classes will develop your listening skills and teach you (1) to be able to hear and dance to the musical structures are phrases that comprise a piece of tango music and (2) the techniques of movement quality needed to move musically and sensitively to different kinds of tango music and to different orchestras. We will cover tango, vals, and milonga. This is a well-structured course that develops a system for you to understand music and movement by breaking down concepts clearly, simply, and systematically. Exercises will employ figures you already know. If you have not had previous musicality classes with us, the Tango Beat Basics will prepare you.